Monday, June 22, 2009

We're mad as hell... and we're not gonna take this anymore!

Back to the room to contact my editor Barb about the abortion article. Showered, got myself a look, grabbed the camera, y me fui.

I wasn't really expecting much. It's always a good idea to shoot at dusk, makes the light look groovy. But no sooner had I crossed avenida "9 de Julio", I saw what looked to be a field trip where the parents outnumbered the kids 10 to 1. Except there was a big banner with Che Guevara on the front...and men with face masks and sticks...and police...

Well, it wasn't as cool as I thought. Apparently this was a mini-protest against the government. I'm not entirely sure what they were protesting. You can tell by the pictures there were a lot of groups represented. Mostly they were exercising their right to get pissed off and shout things in front of the congress.

I did my best to record the event in photos and recordings. Both are below:

In the recording, for the most part, the speaker call for "los campesinos" (the people from the country) to leave their vote blank as a sign of protest.


It was important to look scary, even if no one looked scared.

"For a government of the working class people, don't vote, fight."

So much for a unified front.

Congress in the background. The "Fogoneros" is a militant student group.

No comments:

Post a Comment